Tuesday, July 8, 2014
UK SPCA BADGE OF OFFICE SURFACES at WEDGWOOD, BARLASTON
Staffordshire Parish Councils Association
Established in 1939 just before the outbreak of war, the SPCA is believed to be the senior County Association of Local Councils in England. The aim was to be a source of up-to-date information for Parish Councils and Town Councils to promote good local government and grassroots democracy. It also provided a network of communication and lobbied on behalf of Parish Councils to represent their interests and offered free legal and financial advice.
In 1998, a decision was made to commission two badges of office from Josiah Wedgwood & Sons, one each for the President and Chairman. The badges, in Teal Green Jasper, feature a modified logo with the letters SPCA replaced on the scroll with the office-holder's title in gold. The example illustrated is the President's badge of office and was discovered at Barlaston during an office clear out. Further enquiries established that the office-holders are in possession of their badges and that this badge is a duplicate, either made as an insurance against accidents in firing or, possibly, not meeting the required standard (it has a minute chip on the reverse edge). Whatever the reason, it was put away and its existence forgotten until now.
With thanks to Mr Andrew McRae, CEO of the SPCA, for kindly providing information.
Thank you to Lord Anthony Pulford of Glencoe, Scotland for the research on this interesting Wedgwood item, and for allowing us to publish it here!